The Boroughs Family

The Boroughs Family

Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Mother's love

This weekend is the first time that Luke and Irina have been sick since they have been home. They have felt awful, but it has provided lots of bonding time as they are super snuggly and want to be held. Yesterday, I held Irina in my arms while she slept snuggled up to me for over an hour. It was such a blessing. As I held her, I couldn't help but think of all the times she had been sick in her life with no mommy to hold her. It brought tears to my eyes to imagine her feeling sick, and perhaps lying in a crib all alone with no one to attend to her and give her the extra love and nurturing she needed.

It also made me think of Lucy. It sounds like she is getting very good care, but nothing replaces the love of a mommy. It is hard to imagine any child without a mom, but especially a little child who is medically fragile. Both our sons from Hong Kong had heart surgery as infants. They were so blessed to be well cared for, but I still have often wondered how a baby survives being that sick without parents to love and nurture them.

I know Lucy's heart condition is scary, and her prognosis uncertain. The reality is that life is uncertain for all of us. God does not promise us how many tomorrows we get, we only know that we have this moment. This precious little girl deserves a mommy to hold her and love her, for however long that may be......

2 comments:

NDMom said...

Oh Amy, I know what you are saying! Bella was sick for the first time a few weeks ago and I had the PRIVILEGE of holding her and comforting her in the middle of the night for over an hour. What a precious time and I, too, thought of how many times she has been sick in her life with no Mama to hold her. Isn't this such an honor and blessing? Tears of bittersweet joy fell from my eyes as well! You are a good mama!

Jewels of My Heart said...

I hope your little ones are feeling much better and I am so glad that they are home safely with their family!
I am praying for little Lucy to one day soon be in the arms of her Mommy....
God bless you all,
Daleea